Use this page to track and share group documents. You can view all documents and search for a specific document or group of documents. As a group member, you can also add documents. Note: If you are not a group member, you will only see documents which have been shared with the general public, general membership, or with a group of which you are a member.
To view group documents:
- From All Groups, click the name of the group from the list under the Available Groups heading whose documents you want to view. This takes you to the home page for that group.
- Click the Documents tab. This takes you to the Documents for that group. The following information is provided:
- Name: Group name is shown along with brief instructions on how to use the page.
- Search Documents: Search for text that appears in the document title, document body, submitter's name. Tip: To learn more about searching, see Using Search. Your search results open up on a page with optional Full Text Search
- Show/Hide Archives: Allows you show or hide archived folders from the document listing.
- All Folders: Show all document folders, or pick one folder to view its contents.
- All Submitters: Show all submitters, or pick one to see the documents they have added.
- All States: Show all document states, or pick one. Document states are custom for each organization, such as Draft, Published, and so on.
- All Dates: Show all dates, or pick to view documents submitted in the Last 15 Days, Last 30 Days, and so on.
- Display: Activates the document search based on the selected criteria.
- Reset: Restores the default search criteria for viewing documents. The Groups application remembers your settings from the last time you visited the page, so clicking Reset may be necessary if you want to see all documents and folders (e.g., folders with no documents that meet the search criteria will be hidden completely). Clicking Reset will show those folders again.
- Add New Folder (Chair privileges required): Goes to the Add Folder page; add folders using the on-line form. Document folders: List of existing document folders, with this group's folders in alphabetical order. Shared documents folders from other groups appear at the bottom of the folder list. If Groups has been configured to allow subfolders, they are designated by a forward slash in the folder name (for example, Meeting Notes / Offsite contains documents found in the Offsite subfolder of the Meeting Notes folder). The list of documents can be sorted by all fields except Action. This information is provided for each folder:
- Folder Icon and Name: If there is a dot on the folder icon , autonaming has been enabled. See Autoname Documents for more information. If the folder is a shared documents folder from another group, "Shared Items" appears next to the folder name. For example, the shared documents folder from the Technical group would be named 'Technical -Shared Items".
- Add New Document link: Next to the folder icon and name. There is also an Add New Document link at the top of the page.
- Number of documents: the number of documents currently displayed in each folder is printed at the right of the folder name bar. It appears in the format "5 of 15 Items." To see all documents in a given folder, click the icon next to the word "Items." Note: the total number of documents includes all document revisions.
Note: If you have Chair privileges, links to Edit and Delete a folder appear next to the Upload New Document link. There is also a link to Download Folder and all its contents in one large UNIX .tar file.
Note: If a folder exists but has no documents in it, the text, "No documents available", appears below the folder icon and name. This information is provided for each document:
- Name: Document type icon, followed by file name and extension.
Tip: To quickly find out a document's description, place your cursor over the document name and read the rollover text.
- #: The revision number of the document. For example, 1 = first revision, 2 = second revision, and so on.
- Size: In KBytes or MBytes.
- State: Kavi Group ships with two default states: Draft and Final. Your organization may also have custom states, reflecting your documentation review process (for example, "Proposal", "Reviewed by Marketing", "Passed by Engineering", and so on.).
- Submitter: Name of the person who added the document.
- Date: Date the document was added to the folder by the Submitter.
- Actions: Depending on your document management privileges and whether you added the document, various actions are possible, such as Details, Manage, or Add a Revision.
- Details: Link to a page with the document download link and complete information about the document (Description, Document Submitter, Date Submitted, State, Referenced Items [if any], Comments [if any] and Revisions [if any]). The Details link appears for all documents unless you added a given document (and the configuration option for "let users manage their own files" is enabled), or you logged in with Document Manage privileges (such as a Group Chair).
- Manage: Link to the same Details page, with these additional management links enabled: Modify and Delete document and, if there are comments, Delete Comment. The Manage link appears if you uploaded the document (you are its owner), or you are the Group Chair or otherwise have document management privileges.
Note: If the document resides in a folder with autonaming enabled, only users with Document Manage privileges can modify it. In this case, the document submitter can only submit revisions to the document; he/she cannot modify the document. See Autoname Documents for more information.