Add a New Subgroup
Use this form to add a new subgroup to a group. Note: To add a subgroup to a group, you must have Add Subgroup privileges and be a member of that group.
To add a new subgroup:
- From All Groups, click the name of the group to which you want to add a subgroup. This takes you to the home page for that group.
- Next to the Subgroups heading, click Add. This takes you to the Create a Subgroup page for that group.
- For Group Name, enter the name of the subgroup you want to add (all characters are allowed, up to 100; no HTML).
- For Abbreviated Group Name, enter the name used to generate the group location and working directory (all characters are allowed, up to 20; no HTML.). For example, if you are adding a subgroup called "Marketing", the abbreviated name could be "mktg".
- For Mailing List Name, if you want a name other than the abbreviated group name to be used for the mailing list, enter it here. For example, enter marketing to create a mailing list called firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For Chair Person, select a person to chair the group from the list of group members. Look up a list of names by entering a partial name or email address; to look up all members, leave the text box blank. Click Lookup, then select a name from the list by clicking it.
- For Charter, enter a text version of the group charter.
- For Note, the current text appears. An unlimited number of characters (any type) are allowed; HTML is not allowed. Modify it or continue.
Note: Only members of this group see this text.
- For Group Description, the current text appears. An unlimited number of characters (any type) are allowed; HTML is not allowed. Modify it or continue.
Note: Only visitors to this group see this text.
- For Sharing, select which items the subgroup can share and with whom they can share items. Subgroups can only share items with groups with which the parent group shares. Shared items can be viewed and downloaded by those with whom they are shared.
- Policies: The following policies may not be changed without contacting the group administrator:
- Mailing List Usage
- Mandatory Sharing
- Optional Sharing
- Click Create Group to create the new subgroup or Cancel to return to the parent group home page without creating a new subgroup.
Note: Required fields are designated by an asterisk (*). If you click Create Group and a required field is left blank, an error message appears in red next to the blank field heading. Enter the required information and click Create Group again.